Water tank warranties can differ from one manufacturer to the next. Water tanks sold by Tank Shop come with serial numbers that are fully traceable. Should you ever need to claim on your tank warranty, your QTank or Kingspan tank has a unique serial number allowing the manufacturer to know when it was made and which staff made it, as well as who it was delivered to.
Tank Warranty Information
Please click a relevant link below to expand and read the warranty conditions associated with your tank:
It is always better to buy a tank that lasts so you don't have the hassle of needing to claim on your warranty. Q Tank manufacture water tanks to precise standards, quality test each tank and include a 'Quality Test Report' upon delivery. It is unlikely your tank will fail, however should it, they proudly back their tanks with a 10 year "water tight" warranty.
To be specific, should your water tank fail within 10 years after its date of purchase, then it will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you. The two main conditions are that:
- your tank must be installed according to the provided installation instructions, and
- your tank must be used for its intended purpose (e.g., storing rainwater).
Kingspan Environmental Pty Ltd warrants the AQUAPLATE® range of steel water tanks for as follows:
- 20 year minimum life prior to perforation due to corrosion, as detailed in the Bluescope AQUAPLATE® product warranty.
- 10 year construction warranty covering the assembly and sealing of the tank, from date of purchase.
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. The benefits given by the warranty are in addition to a consumer’s other rights and remedies.
Any failure of the tank due wholly or partly to any of the following causes is not covered by this warranty:
- Normal surface weathering including paint fading or non-structural surface tarnishing/li>
- Faulty installation of the tank including the base not fully supporting the tank around its whole bottom surface in an even and uniform manner
- Mechanical or chemical damage sustained during installation or servicing of the Tank
- Storage of any other liquid other than normal rainwater
- Damage caused by storm and tempest or any other causes beyond the control of Kingspan Environmental Pty Ltd
- Failure of the AQUAPLATE® due to direct connection of copper pipe work to the Tank. All copper connections are to be insulated from the tank via PVC or similar pipe work
- Failure of the AQUAPLATE® steel via the placement or connection of any aftermarket fittings including screws and brackets.
Warranty Claim Process
All warranty claims must be made in writing. Kingspan Environmental Pty Ltd will assess claims for warranty, and the result of this assessment communicated in writing. Claims for a warrantable fault in a steel water tank will be repaired or rectified within two (2) weeks of Kingspan Environmental Pty Ltd receiving the claim.
Please retain your Product Warranty Certificate for warranty claim purposes.
Kingspan Environmental Pty Ltd will not be liable for any injury to persons, damage to property or for any consequential loss or damage due to failure of any Tank. Kingspan Environmental Pty Ltd will not be liable for any expense arising due to the claiming of this warranty.
Heads Up on Tank Warranties
The details of tank manufacturer warranties can differ significantly, and sometimes be misleading.
- Longer 20+ year warranties are often pro-rata – many don’t realise the warranty supplied with their tank is a pro-rata warranty. This means if you have your tank for 5 years before failure, then you will be covered normally via repair or replacement up to the value of the warranty length minus those five years. Should you be told your tank needs replacing, then you are locked into going with that same manufacturer again, paying the difference for a new tank, delivery and re-plumbing costs.
- Many warranties are non-transferable – how long will you be staying at your property? If your warranty is for 25 years, then if you move in 5 years then that is where your warranty will likely end.
- Warranties may make purchaser responsible for others costs arising from a claim including:
- cost of removing and storing of contents.
- transportation costs that apply to picking up your tank for repair, or a replacement tank.
- disposal of the tank that needed replacing.
- re-plumbing the tank back in.
- Brands changing business owners nullify warranties. Many well-known tank brands have been around decades, but the business entities behind the names have changed voiding any previous warranties. Understand your warranty is legally with the original business you bought from, meaning any new business owner can reject your warranty claim.
Australian Consumer Law
Tank Shop are aware of some popular tank brands, some who entice customers with long warranties, but are then masters at denying warranty claims after their poor quality tank fails. Reviews litter the internet for the interested party who doesn’t mind searching and doing a little scouting around.
If you are in a position where you need to claim on a tank warranty, understand that under the Australian Consumer Law there are automatic consumer guarantees which apply to products regardless of any other warranties. If a tank you buy fails to meet a consumer guarantee, then you have the right to ask for a repair, replacement or refund under the Australian Consumer Law. The remedy you’re entitled to will depend on whether the issue is major or minor.
It is important to understand that consumer guarantees do not apply if you got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper somewhere else, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it. However, if you have a minor problem with a product or service, businesses can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund. When you have a major problem with a product, you have the right to ask for your choice of a replacement or refund. That can also include seeking damages if such damages were due to the faulty product.