This is a general guide for tank installation. Detailed instructions can be found in Q Tank's Tank Installation Guide, which you should receive with your tank. Should you have any questions, please call Q Tank directly on (07) 3881 0208.
Q Tank water tanks need to be placed upon a stable, flat level, compacted surface, without any sharp objects such as stones. Advisable bases include:
- Concrete Base (level and reinforced)
- Crusher Dust Base (or bedding sand in a pine sleeper frame)
- Water Tank Stand
- An ideal thickness of a concrete base is 10cm.
- When boxing up your base, make sure the base is up to 100mm wider than the tank.
- Use reinforcing mesh placed in the concrete to provide extra strength.
- The base will need approximately seven days to fully harden before placing a tank
Crusher Dust Base
- Please note - this isn’t preferable if the land the base will be on is not naturally flat.
- A compacted base should be about 30cm wider than the tank.
- Consider excavating the site of the base so when the material is laid down, it is the same height as the surrounding ground level.
- To make the base more stable and keep the materials in place, first lay down a boundary of pavers or wood (pine sleepers) – you could also use the edge of a concrete pathway as part of the boundary if available.
- Compact the materials to enhance their stability.
Water Tank Stand
- Stands should be constructed with hardwood decking with gaps between the boards
25mm (1”) or less.
- Ensure the stand’s structure can support the weight of the tank when full.
Positioning Your Tank
If you know where you want to locate your tank, and your base is ready, the Q Tank driver who delivers your tank will assist you to position it in place. If not, all you need to do is:
- Locate your tank’s overflow – a hole cut in a vertical part of the tank’s roof with a strainer fixed to it. Position the tank so the overflow is in the easiest location for how you plan to use it.
- Locate the outlets on your tank – position the tank so the outlets are easy to reach. When your Q Tank is positioned where you want it, add approximately 2.5cm (1”) of water to it to secure it in place.
Plumbing in Your Tank
If you want to connect your tank to your home’s internal plumbing (such as a toilet or washing machine), the connection must be completed by a licensed plumber as per the Plumbing Code (AS/NZS 3500).